Housing Counseling Resources
Housing Action Webinars
Dealing with Property of Elderly and Deceased Mortgagors
Saving Homes Through Bankruptcy
Grant Writing: Best Practices
- Check out our introductory webinar on best practices for grant writing. This advice is relevant not only when you’re applying for funding from IHDA but also when applying for funding from other sources.
- Another good resource for advice on grant writing is Forefront, a statewide membership association for nonprofits, grantmakers, public agencies, and advisors. Forefront hosts webinars and trainings throughout Illinois, some of which are free.
HELOCs and Foreclosure
For Foreclosure Prevention Program Grantee Agencies
- View our webinar for FPP-4 grantees that provides a detailed overview of the required steps and documentation needed to complete the FPP-4 Quarterly Disbursement Statement.
- Coming soon: we will also be doing a webinar specifically for FPP-G grantees that helps you navigate the reporting process.
Fair Housing Resources
We hosted this webinar on the fair housing rights of people with disabilities in July 2016. The presentation covered reasonable accommodations, reasonable modifications, service animals, illegal inquiries about a person’s disability, effective communication, and other legal issues. It relied on hypothetical scenarios as the main teaching tools.
Fair Housing Legal Rights and Responsibilities: Tools for Housing Counselors
In May 2016, we hosted this webinar with expert presenter Jessica Schneider, Staff Attorney in the Educational Equity and Fair Housing Projects of the Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. The presentation included information on fair housing laws, legal rights and responsibilities for housing seekers and housing providers, and resources for filing complaints for fair housing violations.
Best Practices for Housing Counselors
Developing a Financial Education Program
Rent to Own
- Recording: Protections for Rent to Own Homebuyers in Illinois
- Presentation: Protections for Rent to Own Homebuyers in Illinois
Anti-Predatory Lending Database
Housing Action Initiatives
HUD Certification Exam
Beginning August 1, 2020, housing counselors will be required to become certified via a HUD-administered exam. We break down what you need to know in our FAQ and have created an Online Study Group to help housing counselors prepare for the exam. See all presentations from the Online Study Group below.
Fighting Housing Discrimination
HUD-Approved Client Management Systems
Housing counseling agencies rely on Client Management Systems (CMSs) to track clients and outcomes. Trying to compare these complicated systems can be daunting so we created profiles of each CMS to help housing counselors assess their options. See the CMS Guide 2.0.
Research on the Benefits of Housing Counseling
- 82% of clients who receive housing counseling think it was a helpful experience, according to the 2015 American Housing Survey, which looks at rates of housing counseling across the nation.
- Homebuyer education and counseling can “provide timely, powerful support for prospective and current homeowners as they assess their options and make decisions,” according to an overview of relevant research in Evidence Matters, published in 2016 by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Office of Policy Development and Research.
- Neil Mayer and Associates, together with Experian, conducted a study published in 2012 on the effectiveness of NeighborWorks pre-purchase homeownership counseling and education. Overall, the study found clients receiving pre-purchase counseling and education from NeighborWorks organizations are one-third less likely to become 90+ days delinquent over the two years after receiving their loan than are borrowers who do not receive pre-purchase counseling from NeighborWorks organizations. In 2016, the Urban Institute continued the examination of NeighborWorks counseling in a report titled NeighborWorks America’s Homeownership Education and Counseling: Who Receives It and Is It Effective?
- A 2016 study by a doctoral student at Vanderbilt’s Peabody College of Education and Human Development, The Influence of Homebuyer Education on Default and Foreclosure Risk, found that first-time homebuyers who attended homebuyer education course were much less likely to lose their home to foreclosure.
Research on the Barriers to Homeownership
Latest News for Housing Counselors
HUD Certification Exam Online Study Group Last December, HUD issued a Final Rule for the Housing Counseling program that requires that all individuals who provide housing counseling in connection with a HUD program must take and pass a HUD-administered certification...
Americans are more likely to rent a home today than at any other time during the previous 50 years. Given this landscape, it is essential for housing counselors to empower clients with information and resources during every step of the rental process....
Home Counselor Online (HCO) is a free client management system (CMS) developed and managed by Fannie Mae that can make required reporting to HUD and other funders easier. But until now, there hasn’t been a comprehensive hands-on training to teach housing...
Federal Level Advocacy Along with advocates from across the country who work to create affordable housing and end homelessness, we are dismayed by President Trump’s budget “blueprint" for next year. Why? The proposal cuts the HUD budget by $6.2 billion (13%). The...
On December 14, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) issued a Final Rule for the Housing Counseling program. The most significant of these changes is the requirement that all individuals that provide housing counseling in connection with a HUD...
Housing Action Illinois Awarded $698,000 in HUD Housing Counseling Funds: 26 Agencies to Receive Sub-Grants
Housing Action Illinois has been awarded $698,000 by HUD to channel resources to local organizations to help families and individuals with their housing needs and to prevent foreclosures. Housing Action will distribute the funds to the 26 housing counseling agencies...
New Guide to HUD-Approved Client Management Systems Helps Housing Counselor Agencies Make Informed Decisions
Report delivers detailed breakdowns of 17 client management systems, helping housing counselor agencies find the best fit for their needs A new, comprehensive guide to the Client Management Systems (CMSs) approved by HUD has just been released by Housing Action...
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 11, 2015 CONTACT: Bob Palmer, Policy Director, Housing Action Illinois, 312-282-3959 (cell) or email@example.com State legislation to create consumer protections for seniors for considering a reverse mortgage, Senate Bill 1440, was...
Housing Action Illinois Awarded $307,000 in HUD Housing Counseling Funds: 12 Illinois and Indiana Agencies Will Receive Sub-Grants
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 24, 2015 CONTACT: David Young, Director of Technical Assistance, Housing Action Illinois, at 312-939-6074 ext. 202 or firstname.lastname@example.org Housing Action Illinois received $307,000 to channel resources to 12 housing counseling agencies...
Housing Action Illinois is pleased to announce that Jennifer Pallas will be joining the organization as a Housing Counseling Program Coordinator on April 1. Jennifer will be working to expand the capacity of housing counselors and counseling agencies throughout the...