Housing Counseling Resources
Explaining Housing Counseling
Making the Case for Housing Counseling
Research on the Benefits of Housing Counseling
- 82% of clients who receive housing counseling think it was a helpful experience, according to the 2015 American Housing Survey, which looks at rates of housing counseling across the nation.
- Homebuyer education and counseling can “provide timely, powerful support for prospective and current homeowners as they assess their options and make decisions,” according to an overview of relevant research in Evidence Matters, published in 2016 by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Office of Policy Development and Research.
- Neil Mayer and Associates, together with Experian, conducted a study published in 2012 on the effectiveness of NeighborWorks pre-purchase homeownership counseling and education. Overall, the study found clients receiving pre-purchase counseling and education from NeighborWorks organizations are one-third less likely to become 90+ days delinquent over the two years after receiving their loan than are borrowers who do not receive pre-purchase counseling from NeighborWorks organizations. In 2016, the Urban Institute continued the examination of NeighborWorks counseling in a report titled NeighborWorks America’s Homeownership Education and Counseling: Who Receives It and Is It Effective?
Research on the Barriers to Homeownership
Housing Action Webinars
Foreclosure & Bankruptcy
Rentals, Foreclosures, and Bankruptcy Court in the Time of COVID-19 (2020)
Bankruptcy: What Housing Counselors Need to Know (2020)
Saving Homes Through Bankruptcy (2019)
Illinois Mortgage Foreclosure Process (2018)
For Foreclosure Prevention Program Grantee Agencies (2017)
- View our webinar for FPP-4 grantees that provides a detailed overview of the required steps and documentation needed to complete the FPP-4 Quarterly Disbursement Statement.
- Coming soon: we will also be doing a webinar specifically for FPP-G grantees that helps you navigate the reporting process.
HELOCs and Foreclosure (2016)
Keeping the ‘Community’ in the Community Reinvestment Act (2020)
- Recording: Keeping the ‘Community’ in the Community Reinvestment Act
- Presentation: Keeping the ‘Community’ in the Community Reinvestment Act
- More information: Woodstock Institute
Rent to Own (2018)
- Recording: Protections for Rent to Own Homebuyers in Illinois
- Presentation: Protections for Rent to Own Homebuyers in Illinois
Grant Writing: Best Practices (2017)
Check out our introductory webinar on best practices for grant writing. This advice is relevant not only when you’re applying for funding from IHDA but also when applying for funding from other sources.
Another good resource for advice on grant writing is Forefront, a statewide membership association for nonprofits, grantmakers, public agencies, and advisors. Forefront hosts webinars and trainings throughout Illinois, some of which are free.
Best Practices for Housing Counselors (2014)
Dealing with Property of Elderly and Deceased Mortgagors (2019)
Anti-Predatory Lending Database (2018)
Developing a Financial Education Program (2013)
Getting Your HUD Certification
Choosing a HUD-Approved CMS
Housing counseling agencies rely on Client Management Systems (CMSs) to track clients and outcomes. Trying to compare these complicated systems can be daunting so we created profiles of each CMS to help housing counselors assess their options. See the CMS Guide 2.0.
Fighting Housing Discrimination
Find our brochure on fair lending, info about the Community Reinvestment Act, contact info for fair housing enforcement agencies, and more at our page on fair housing.
Fair Housing Legal Rights and Responsibilities: Tools for Housing Counselors (2020)
Fair Housing Webinars (2016)
We hosted this webinar on the fair housing rights of people with disabilities in July 2016. The presentation covered reasonable accommodations, reasonable modifications, service animals, illegal inquiries about a person’s disability, effective communication, and other legal issues. It relied on hypothetical scenarios as the main teaching tools.
Fair Housing Legal Rights and Responsibilities: Tools for Housing Counselors
In May 2016, we hosted this webinar with expert presenter Jessica Schneider, Staff Attorney in the Educational Equity and Fair Housing Projects of the Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. The presentation included information on fair housing laws, legal rights and responsibilities for housing seekers and housing providers, and resources for filing complaints for fair housing violations.
Latest News for Housing Counselors
In December 2016, HUD issued a Final Rule for the Housing Counseling program that requires that all individuals who provide housing counseling in connection with a HUD program must take and pass a HUD-administered certification exam. HUD Certification Exam Online...
When Wanda met Michael, he was staying at the Pacific Garden Mission shelter. The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic meant he was doing an apartment search virtually, which was a challenge compounded by his disability. He wasn’t sure if he could trust that photos would line up...
Initiative will help quantify & qualify program impacts, position agencies to better serve consumers For Immediate Release: August 3, 2020 Contact: Kristin Ginger, Communications Manager, Housing Action Illinois, firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-854-3333 CHICAGO...
CHICAGO – HUD has awarded $1,000,206 to Housing Action Illinois to distribute funds to local nonprofits whose housing counseling programs help families rent or buy safe, affordable homes and prevent foreclosures. This year’s network of 33 housing counseling agencies, listed below, serve communities in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Missouri.
33 Agencies to Receive Sub-Grants to Help Families Rent or Buy Affordable Homes For Immediate Release: October 8, 2019 Contact: Kristin Ginger, Communications Manager, Housing Action Illinois, email@example.com or 312-854-3333 CHICAGO – HUD has awarded...
Housing Action Illinois has just published an updated version of its Guide to HUD-approved Client Management Systems (CMSs). The digital resource, which is available for free online, helps users assess their options through an at-a-glance comparison chart and detailed...
A social enterprise is a publicly responsible and innovative venture, driven by unmet community needs, that exists as a hybrid of the traditional nonprofit and business models. Broadly, these ventures can be classified into three categories defined by the Social...
1. We were awarded $1.26 million by HUD to support housing counseling programs in the Midwest The funds will be distributed across our growing Intermediary network of 33 agencies in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Missouri to support programs that help...
33 Agencies to Receive Sub-Grants to Help Families Rent or Buy Affordable Homes CHICAGO – HUD has awarded $1,259,176 to Housing Action Illinois to distribute funds to local nonprofits whose housing counseling programs help families rent or buy safe,...
“Information is power,” says Guadalupe Gasca. As a housing counselor at Centro Romero, the information that Lupe gives families on the northeast side of Chicago helps them find and keep good apartments and homes. “Too many people don’t know their rights,...