Resources to Prevent and End Homelessness
Housing Action Illinois does not provide direct assistance to people looking for affordable housing, but we hope that the following websites and resources might be of use.
Find resources by your region
City of Chicago
- Chicago Homelessness Prevention Call Center: Individuals seeking assistance in Chicago for basic needs such as rent, utilities, etc., should call 311 and ask for Short-Term Help to be transferred to the Homelessness Prevention Call Center. The Call Center Information & Referral Specialist will ask you questions about your situation and assess your eligibility for assistance, as well as other community resources. The Information & Referral Specialist will direct you to a partner agency or other community resources, as appropriate and as resources are available. The hours of operation are Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Emergency Shelter: If you are in need of emergency shelter in Chicago, call 311.
- Chicago’s Coordinated Entry System serves as a front door to connect people facing homelessness to housing and supports in an accessible, equitable, transparent manner. This new way of doing business allows all partners in the Chicago Continuum of Care to collaborate to improve access and outcomes for people without permanent housing while delivering trauma informed services.
- More information: www.allchicago.org/get-help
Suburban Cook County
- Suburban Cook County Homeless Prevention Call Center: If you need financial assistance with Mortgage, Rent Payments, Rent Deposits, Utility Payments, or other housing issues please call the Homeless Prevention Call Center at 1-877-4-Cook-15 (1-877-426-6515). Listen carefully to the prompts to choose which kind of help you need.
- Emergency Shelter: Call the emergency facility nearest you:
- South Suburbs: South Suburban PADS, 708-332-7700
- Northwest Suburbs: Journeys | The Road Home, 847-963-9163
- West Suburbs: Housing Forward (Oak Park), 708-338-1724 or BEDS (LaGrange), 708-354-0858
- More information: www.suburbancook.org
- To access homeless services, call the DuPage County centralized intake and referral hotline which operates from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekdays. Telephone – 630-407-6500, 1-800-942-9412, TDD 630-407-6502. After hours and on weekends, homeless services can be accessed by calling the Catholic Charities Hope House shelter hotline at 800-941-8681.
- More information: www.dupagehomeless.org/homeless
HUD Resource Locator: A map-based tool to connect with building managers, public housing authority representatives, and property management companies to inquire about housing availability and other housing-related questions
IllinoisLegalAid.org provides lower-income and vulnerable Illinois residents with information about their legal rights and responsibilities, referrals to free and low cost legal aid offices, multimedia training and education, and forms and instructions for representing themselves. They also run Legal Answers, a virtual walk-in clinic where you can get answers to your legal questions for free from volunteer attorneys.
Consumer Contacts for People Experiencing or at Risk of Homelessness
|Continuum of Care Network||Counties or City Served||Contact Information|
|Central Illinois||DeWitt, Ford, Iroquois, Kankakee, Livingston, Logan, Mason, Menard, McLean, Piatt, Vermilion||McLean County Hub: PATH Crisis Center. 309-828-1022
Vermillion County Hub: Crosspoint Human Services. 217-446-1217
Kankakee County Hub: The Salvation Army Kankakee. 815-933-8421
Rural County clients may call 2-1-1
|Champaign County||Champaign||Champaign County Regional Planning Commission
|City of Chicago||City of Chicago||
Call 311 or visit www.csh.org/access
|Kane County||Kane||Use the HUD Resource Locator|
|Cook County||Suburban Cook County||Call Center, Open Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
or visit www.myentrypoint.org
24-Hour Hotline 217-619-5742
|DuPage County||DuPage||DuPage County Information and Referral
|Heart of Illinois||Peoria, Fulton, Tazewell, Woodford||Call 211 or 309-999-4029|
|Heartland||Sangamon||Dial toll free 2-1-1 or 1-888-865-9903 or chat online at https://www.pathcrisis.org|
|Joliet/Will||Will, Kendall, Grundy||
Will County Center for Community Concerns
CTEH Outreach Joliet Public Library
Cornerstone Services Inc.
Trinity Services Inc.
Grundy Area PADS
|Lake County||Lake||PADS Lake County
|Madison County||Madison||Madison County Community Development
|McHenry County||McHenry||Kim Roush
Pioneer Center for Human Services
|Northwestern||Bureau, Carroll, Jo Daviess, Henry, Knox, LaSalle, Lee, Marshall, Mercer, Ogle, Putnam, Rock Island, Stark, Stephenson, Whiteside||
|Rockford/Winnebago/Boone||Winnebago, Boone||Homeless Hotline
844-710-6919 ext. 5
|South-Central Illinois||Calhoun, Christian, Clark, Clay, Coles, Crawford, Cumberland, Douglas, Edgar, Effingham, Fayette, Greene, Jasper, Jersey, Macoupin, Montgomery, Moultrie, Shelby||
Eastern Region Counties
Central Region Counties
Western Region Counties
|Southern Illinois||Alexander, Bond, Clinton, Edwards, Franklin, Gallatin, Hamilton, Hardin, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Lawrence, Marion, Massac, Monroe, Perry, Pope, Pulaski, Randolph, Richland, Saline, Union, Wabash, Washington, Wayne, White, Williamson||Use the HUD Resource Locator|
|St. Clair County||St. Clair||Housing Resource Center
|West Central Illinois||Adams, Brown, Cass, Hancock, Henderson, McDonough, Morgan, Pike, Schuyler, Scott, Warren||Tammi Lonergan
MCS Community Services