Resources to Prevent and End Homelessness
Housing Action Illinois does not provide direct assistance to people looking for affordable housing, but we hope that the following websites and resources might be of use.
For resources related to the COVID-19 public health crisis, please visit this page, which is being updated daily.
Find resources by your region
City of Chicago
- Chicago Homelessness Prevention Call Center: Dial 3-1-1 or 312-744-5000 and ask for “Short-Term Help.” (TTY Access is available for callers using specialized TTY equipment due to hearing problems: 312.948.6817.) Call Center staff will assess your eligibility for financial assistance and other community resources, then refer you to partner agencies that can help. The Call Center is open Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Emergency Shelter: If you are in immediate need of emergency shelter in Chicago, call 3-1-1 to request transportation to a shelter.
- Chicago’s Coordinated Entry System serves as a front door to connect people facing homelessness to housing and supports in an accessible, equitable, transparent manner. Anyone sleeping in a shelter, outside, in a vehicle, or any place not meant for human habitation can call the Coordinated Entry Call Center at 312-361-1707 to complete a housing assessment. The call center is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Please note, this may or may not lead to a housing option and does not solve your immediate housing crisis.
- StreetLight Chicago provides up-to-date information on shelters, health clinics, emergency beds, mental health services, and more. The website is geared for young adults in Chicago between the ages of 16 and 24 living with unstable housing. This is a project of the Chicago Coalition for the Homeless and Young Invincibles.
- More information, including how to seek assistance in-person: www.allchicago.org/get-help
Suburban Cook County
- Suburban Cook County Homeless Prevention Call Center: If you need financial assistance with Mortgage, Rent Payments, Rent Deposits, Utility Payments, or other housing issues please call the Homeless Prevention Call Center at 1-877-4-Cook-15 (1-877-426-6515). Listen carefully to the prompts to choose which kind of help you need.
- Emergency Shelter: Call the emergency facility nearest you:
- South Suburbs: South Suburban PADS, 708-332-7700
- Northwest Suburbs: Journeys | The Road Home, 847-963-9163
- West Suburbs: Housing Forward (Oak Park), 708-338-1724 or BEDS (LaGrange), 708-354-0858
- More information: www.myentrypoint.org and www.suburbancook.org
- To access homeless services, call the DuPage County centralized intake and referral hotline which operates from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekdays. Telephone – 630-407-6500, 1-800-942-9412, TDD 630-407-6502. After hours and on weekends, homeless services can be accessed by calling the Catholic Charities Hope House shelter hotline at 800-941-8681.
- More information: www.dupagehomeless.org/homeless
2-1-1 is available in many counties in Illinois. Call 2-1-1 for any non-emergency crisis, such as food, shelter, rent and utility assistance. People can also call for physical and mental health resources and employment support, as well as any need that impacts seniors, persons with disabilities, children, youth and/or families.
HUD Resource Locator: A map-based tool to connect with building managers, public housing authority representatives, and property management companies to inquire about housing availability and other housing-related questions
IllinoisLegalAid.org provides lower-income and vulnerable Illinois residents with information about their legal rights and responsibilities, referrals to free and low cost legal aid offices, multimedia training and education, and forms and instructions for representing themselves. They also run Legal Answers, a virtual walk-in clinic where you can get answers to your legal questions for free from volunteer attorneys.
Help Illinois Families Initiative is an initiative launched in June 2020 to help Illinois families access and afford home energy assistance and other essential services during COVID-19. Building on the State’s Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) program, the State’s Fiscal Year 2021 (FY 21) budget authorizes an expansion of the LIHEAP and CSBG programs for eligible Illinoisans seeking emergency assistance to cover costs of utility bills, rent, temporary shelter, food, and other household necessities.
Consumer Contacts for People Experiencing or at Risk of Homelessness
|Continuum of Care Network||Counties or City Served||Contact Information|
|Central Illinois||DeWitt, Ford, Iroquois, Kankakee, Livingston, Logan, Mason, Menard, McLean, Piatt, Vermilion||McLean County Hub: PATH Crisis Center. 309-828-1022
Vermillion County Hub: Crosspoint Human Services. 217-446-1217
Kankakee County Hub: The Salvation Army Kankakee. 815-933-8421
Rural County clients may call 2-1-1
|Champaign County||Champaign||Champaign County Regional Planning Commission
|City of Chicago||City of Chicago||
Call 311 or visit www.allchicago.org/get-help
|Kane County||Kane||Use the HUD Resource Locator|
|Cook County||Suburban Cook County||Call Center, Open Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
or visit www.myentrypoint.org
24-Hour Hotline 217-619-5742
|DuPage County||DuPage||DuPage County Information and Referral
|Heart of Illinois||Peoria, Fulton, Tazewell, Woodford||Call 211 or 309-999-4029|
|Heartland||Sangamon||Dial toll free 2-1-1 or 1-888-865-9903 or chat online at https://www.pathcrisis.org|
|Joliet/Will||Will, Kendall, Grundy||
Will County Center for Community Concerns
CTEH Outreach Joliet Public Library
Cornerstone Services Inc.
Trinity Services Inc.
Grundy Area PADS
|Lake County||Lake||PADS Lake County
|Madison County||Madison||Madison County Community Development
|McHenry County||McHenry||Gina Zinck
Pioneer Center for Human Services
|Northwestern||Bureau, Carroll, Jo Daviess, Henry, Knox, LaSalle, Lee, Marshall, Mercer, Ogle, Putnam, Rock Island, Stark, Stephenson, Whiteside||
|Rockford/Winnebago/Boone||Winnebago, Boone||Homeless Hotline
844-710-6919 ext. 5
|South-Central Illinois||Calhoun, Christian, Clark, Clay, Coles, Crawford, Cumberland, Douglas, Edgar, Effingham, Fayette, Greene, Jasper, Jersey, Macoupin, Montgomery, Moultrie, Shelby||
Eastern Region Counties
Central Region Counties
Western Region Counties
|Southern Illinois||Alexander, Bond, Clinton, Edwards, Franklin, Gallatin, Hamilton, Hardin, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Lawrence, Marion, Massac, Monroe, Perry, Pope, Pulaski, Randolph, Richland, Saline, Union, Wabash, Washington, Wayne, White, Williamson||Use the HUD Resource Locator|
|St. Clair County||St. Clair||Housing Resource Center
|West Central Illinois||Adams, Brown, Cass, Hancock, Henderson, McDonough, Morgan, Pike, Schuyler, Scott, Warren||Tammi Lonergan
MCS Community Services