2019 Workshop Series with SHPA
The seeds of change are found in everyday experience. The stories of people who live in supportive housing can shed light on important issues, such as what it is like to experience homelessness or live with mental illness or a disability. Because of this, Housing Action Illinois is partnering with the Supportive Housing Providers Association (SHPA) for a series of workshops to help residents of permanent supportive housing explore telling stories to make a difference. Our thanks to the Illinois Charitable Trust Stabilization Fund for making this collaboration possible.
- Mount Vernon (Rend Lake College) – March 14
- Peoria (South Side Office of Concern) – May 9
- Rockford (TBD) – July 18
- Chicago (Catholic Charities) – August 8
- Metro Chicago Area (TBD) – August 22
Each workshop will be four hours long, and lunch will be provided. Travel scholarships are available. All workshop participants will have the opportunity to share their stories for publication online or in a print magazine.
Questions? Contact Kristin Ginger.
Storytelling for Change, Supportive Housing Providers Association Residents Conference (Springfield, Illinois) on August 15, 2018
Strategic Storytelling, Metro East Coalition (Collinsville, Illinois) on July 10, 2018
Telling the Continuum of Care Story, HUD Homeless Programs Institute (Decatur, Illinois) on June 27, 2018
Projects & Programs for Inspiration
- National Coalition for the Homeless’ Faces of Homelessness Speakers’ Bureau
- Bonus: NCH has an organizing manual to help start your own speakers’ bureau!
- CSH Speak Up! Program
- Community Writing Project
- Bonus: CWP has tips for facilitating writing workshops!
- Through Our Eyes
- See Me: Picturing New York’s Homeless Youth & The Reciprocity Foundation
- H.E.L.L.O Photography Exhibit
- Chicago Housing Authority & DePaul University Documentary Filmmaking Camp
- Life on the Streets: Voices of the Homeless in Silicon Valley
- Bonus: StoryCorps has a list of great questions for a variety of interviews
- The Opportunity Agenda
- Frameworks Institute
- Negating Doesn’t: The Downsides of Refutation
- Stories Worth Telling: A Guide to Strategic and Sustainable Nonprofit Storytelling
- Storytelling and Social Change: A Strategy Guide