Housing Action Illinois is a statewide coalition of more than 160 organizations dedicated to protecting and expanding the availability of quality, affordable, accessible homes throughout Illinois. The great majority of our member organizations are nonprofit direct-service providers who provide shelter, affordable housing, and/or housing counseling to low-income individuals and families.
Through our AmeriCorps program, we coordinate and support nearly 30 one-year and 30 summer AmeriCorps positions placed with our member organizations. These AmeriCorps positions serve our communities in a wide variety of capacities, but all of their service is aimed at fighting poverty and helping communities by expanding and improving the availability of quality affordable, accessible housing and ending homelessness in Illinois.
Last year, Housing Action’s AmeriCorps Member cohort recruited and managed nearly 1,100 volunteers, leveraged $640,000 in grants and cash or in-kind donations, and, as a result of the capacity they built at their organizations, 7,500 individuals and households received some sort of housing-related services.
Housing Action seeks to supplement its best practices and strong programmatic structures managing this federal program with new ideas and strategies. If you have a passion for national service and the right skill set for project management and communications marketing then we invite you to apply for our available National Service Program Associate position.
Job Title: National Service Program Associate
Responsible to: National Service Program Manager
Summary of Primary Job Functions:
The National Service Program Associate is responsible for the support and coordination of all aspects of our current AmeriCorps program and any additional national service programs we may adopt. The primary job responsibility of this National Service Program Associate position is to manage and enhance all aspects of our program related to full-year AmeriCorps Members. By doing so, we strengthen our member organizations’ ability to fulfill their missions and attract/develop new talent for our coalition and communities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support all aspects of Housing Action’s AmeriCorps program, including but not limited to recruitment, marketing, onboarding, and training, as well as tracking the progress and impact of full-year AmeriCorps Member positions.
- Work with the team to establish annual goals and desired outcomes for the AmeriCorps Program; communicate goals to existing and prospective host sites; ensure that AmeriCorps Member Volunteer Assignment Descriptions reflect the project’s goals and outcomes; and support the project in attaining or exceeding annual goals.
- Establish programmatic infrastructure to improve program reporting, onboarding, and offboarding of AmeriCorps Member positions, especially during the summer months when one cohort of AmeriCorps Members is exiting and another is starting its terms.
- If assigned, work closely with Housing Action’s Finance Team to ensure accurate and timely AmeriCorps Member stipend payment processing, including maintaining all required records.
- Develop and implement an annual plan to market the AmeriCorps program, recruit candidates, and retain AmeriCorps Members. The plan will include equity and inclusion goals for marketing, recruiting, and retaining AmeriCorps Members from communities of color, low-income households, and LGBT+ communities.
- Work with the National Service Program Manager and AmeriCorps Leaders to coordinate In-Service Training for AmeriCorps Members.
- Coordinate AmeriCorps recruitment efforts, including RFP evaluations, site selections, and AmeriCorps Member placement.
- Maintain productive working relationships with host sites, AmeriCorps Members, and other program partners.
- Assist in the management of the AmeriCorps intermediary sponsor grant including reporting and assessment requirements, and assist in the preparation of renewal grants.
- Work with AmeriCorps Leaders to conduct site visits with AmeriCorps Members and their site supervisors and serve as the primary contact person for AmeriCorps Members and site supervisor issues.
- Attend national and regional training and webinars.
The successful candidate in this role will thrive in a small office environment and will be eager to grow in the nonprofit profession.
- Understanding of and commitment to Housing Action’s mission is required, as is the ability to work collaboratively with Housing Action’s staff, Board, members, allies and others.
- At least one term of AmeriCorps VISTA service experience is required, as is experience working within the nonprofit environment. Prior service as an AmeriCorps VISTA Leader is strongly preferred.
- Must be detail-oriented and organized with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills, including the ability to articulate complex ideas and issues with clarity and forcefulness.
- Excellent computer skills and ability to learn new programs required. Housing Action uses Apple computers, so familiarity with Apple’s operating system and programs is a plus.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment with competing deadlines and complex collaborative projects involving multiple partners. Must be able to meet internal and external deadlines and communicate progress on an ongoing basis.
- Good interpersonal skills and flexibility within a small office are essential, along with confidentiality and thoroughness.
- Good judgment, with the ability to make timely and sound decisions, is required. Must be self-directed and able to advance organizational and project goals once agreed upon.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends as needed. Travel around the state will be required; one must have a valid driver’s license.
Housing Action offers a competitive salary ($46,500) and benefits package. Benefits currently include 100% of health, dental, and short-term disability insurance premiums for employees paid by Housing Action, 12 vacation days in the first year of employment (increases to 18 days thereafter), 5 personal days, 10 holidays, and 12 health leave days.
We also offer a flexible hybrid work arrangement, with the option to work 2-4 days per week remotely. For the first 60 – 90 days of employment, it is required to come into the office 3 days per week. Successful applicants must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or submit a written request for a legally recognized exemption upon hiring.
Housing Action Illinois is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer in Illinois. We believe that personnel diversity is an organizational strength and recognize and value the intersectional identities that staff members bring to our organization.
How to Apply and Deadline:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and two short writing samples (500 words or fewer) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “National Service Program Associate” in the subject line. The deadline to apply is November 27, 2022, although Housing Action Illinois will be reviewing resumes on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.