Housing Action Illinois is a statewide coalition of more than 160 organizations dedicated to protecting and expanding the availability of quality, affordable, accessible homes throughout Illinois. The great majority of our member organizations are nonprofit direct-service providers who provide shelter, affordable housing, and/or housing counseling to low-income individuals and families.
Through our Policy Advocacy Program, we mobilize our members and allies to advocate for policies that help end homelessness, create affordable rental housing, promote sustainable homeownership and affirmatively further fair housing. For this work, we particularly focus on the needs of people with the lowest incomes and others impacted by systemic inequities in our society. Our complementary Public Education & Organizing Program builds awareness and activates change by sharing information and real-life stories with policymakers, nonprofit service providers, and the media.
Examples of campaigns we have recently worked on have secured $200 million in state capital budget funding for affordable housing, creation of the Illinois Affordable Housing Omnibus bill and state Community Reinvestment Act, and creation of the Residential Landlord Tenant Ordinance and fair housing protections for people with criminal records in Cook County. Current and planned campaigns are focused on preventing homelessness, reducing evictions, reducing the racial wealth gap and other issues.
Housing Action Illinois also has programs that build the capacity and expand the resources of our member organizations through training and technical assistance and as a HUD Approved Housing Counseling Intermediary and HUD Housing Counseling Training Partner. Housing Action also manages a network of AmeriCorps VISTA members working with our member agencies.
Job Title: Housing Policy Organizer
Responsible to: Policy Director
Summary of Primary Job Functions: The Housing Policy Organizer is responsible for implementation and management of portions of Housing Action’s Public Policy Advocacy and Public Education and Organizing Programs, including our advocacy work on local, state and federal spending, as well as our legislative and other policy efforts. An important goal for the Housing Policy Organizer is to lead Housing Action’s work to build the capacity of community-based organizations, particularly our members, to participate in our advocacy campaigns.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working closely with the Policy Director, assist in the development and implementation of our public policy agenda.
- Help lead attempts to influence public policy at the state, federal, and local level.
- Build relationships with members, allies, and other stakeholders to gain community support for Housing Action’s advocacy efforts and to solicit input to guide our future work.
- Establish and maintain relationships with elected officials.
- Organize, manage, and lead issue-specific working groups and coalitions.
- Work with other staff to plan, coordinate, and implement public education and organizing activities, such as our annual conference and membership recruitment and retention activities.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- At least three years of experience with a non-profit, community-based organization in one of the following areas: affordable housing or community development; public policy in housing or a related social justice field; and/or community organizing
- Strong problem solving
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Comfort with representing Housing Action externally, speaking/presenting publicly, and facilitating larger group discussions
- Strong collaboration and group facilitation skills, including understanding how to engage/leverage organizational members
- Ability to interact with diverse people and communities
- Ability to shift between independent, self-directed work and team collaboration/projects
- Detail-oriented, organized, and able to meet internal and external deadlines
- Strong software and computer skills, ability to learn new programs quickly, especially Mac computers/software
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Willingness and ability to do significant travel throughout the state; must have valid driver’s license. For a highly qualified candidate, we will consider that they not be required to work out of our Chicago office.
- Knowledge of current public policies and programs related to our organizational mission is a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree or experience in related field
Housing Action offers a competitive salary ($51,000 – $54,000) and benefits package. Benefits currently include 100% of health, dental, and short-term disability insurance premiums for employee paid by Housing Action, 12 vacation days the first year of employment (increases to 18 days thereafter), 5 personal days, 10 holidays, and 12 health leave days.
We also offer a flexible hybrid work arrangement, with the option to work 2-4 days per week remotely. Successful applicants must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or submit a written request for a legally recognized exemption upon hiring.
Housing Action Illinois is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer Illinois. We believe that personnel diversity is an organizational strength and recognize and value the intersectional identities that staff members bring to our organization.
How to Apply and Deadline:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Housing Policy Organizer” in the subject line. The deadline to apply is August 15, 2022, although Housing Action Illinois will be reviewing resumes on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.