We’re looking for someone passionate about housing justice to build public understanding of issues, engage and cultivate our member organizations, and help diversity our funding.
About Housing Action Illinois
Housing Action Illinois is a statewide coalition that has been leading the movement to protect and expand the availability of quality, affordable housing and end homelessness in Illinois for 35 years. Our 160+ member organizations include housing counseling agencies, homeless service providers, developers of affordable housing, and policymakers. We bring everyone together to work toward an Illinois where everyone has a stable, good home.
Our AmeriCorps VISTA will help us in this mission by building awareness and understanding of affordable housing and homelessness through creating educational communications, strengthening our membership, and supporting our fundraising efforts. They will lift up the work of housing organizations making a difference in our communities through writing spotlights and social media posts; develop digital and print materials to inform our members and funders; create learning opportunities; and help us be more strategic in our communications. They will also collaborate with our staff to diversify and strengthen our funding.
To accomplish all of this, we’re looking for someone who is passionate about housing justice and interested in fostering collaboration among housing professionals and organizations throughout Illinois. We are seeking an individual who is well-organized, communicates effectively, takes initiative, has strong writing skills, wants to learn, and can balance a wide variety of projects.
Since this position is a part of the larger network of VISTAs serving within Housing Action’s VISTA Network, you will receive training, support, guidance, and networking opportunities, in addition to the traditional opportunities for AmeriCorps VISTA positions. This position can start in July or August of 2022.
- Build awareness and understanding of homelessness and affordable housing and our coalition’s role in addressing these issues in Illinois. Projects include creating content for monthly newsletters and updating resource and issue pages on our website.
- Engage and cultivate Housing Action members and donors through communications, implementing new strategic plan priorities related to membership, writing member spotlights, and helping facilitate trainings or networking opportunities.
- Expand and diversify our funding sources in collaboration with staff. Identify new prospects, write and edit grant proposals, join the planning team for our annual benefit and conference, and strategize additional fundraising activities.
- Strategize for and help plan Housing Action’s return to in-person conferences and contribute to 35th anniversary celebration activities at the 2022 conference.
- Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred.
- At least 6 months to one year of professional, volunteer, or internship experience in a non-profit or agency setting preferred; previous communications and project management experience preferred.
- Education background in communications, journalism, marketing, political science, or English preferred.
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in web-based research and Microsoft Office. Open to learning website content management and other website training.
- Excellent writing skills, strong attention to detail, and good interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with social media channels desired; familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop) a plus.
- Knowledge of or experience in fundraising and event planning a plus.
- Knowledge of or experience in affordable housing and homelessness a plus.
Compensation and Benefits:
Please note this is a one-year volunteer position with benefits funded by AmeriCorps VISTA. Benefits include a monthly living allowance, a health plan, childcare assistance if eligible, relocation allowance, professional development opportunities, and, after successful completion of the term, an Education Award that can be used to repay student or for future education expenses. Federal student loans may be deferred during the twelve-month commitment.
Housing Action Illinois will also provide reimbursement for a monthly transit pass.
At the moment, we expect that this position will be remote for 3 – 4 days per week and in the office 1 – 2 days per week.
Please apply to this position via the AmeriCorps portal; you can find the posting in the portal here.