We’re looking for someone passionate about housing justice to build public understanding of issues, engage and cultivate our member organizations, gather stories, and help diversity our funding.
About Housing Action Illinois
Housing Action Illinois is a statewide coalition that has been leading the movement to protect and expand the availability of quality, affordable housing in Illinois for more than 30 years. Our 150+ member organizations include housing counseling agencies, homeless service providers, developers of affordable housing and policymakers. We bring everyone together to work toward an Illinois where everyone has a stable, good home.
Our AmeriCorps VISTA will help us in this mission by building awareness and understanding of affordable housing and homelessness through creating educational communications, strengthening our membership, and supporting our fundraising efforts. They will lift up the voices of advocates working on the front lines and people with lived experience of housing instability through developing digital and print materials, raise our digital profile, and help us be more strategic in our communications. They will engage and support our coalition’s member organizations as well as cultivate potential members. They will also collaborate with our staff to diversify and strengthen our funding.
To accomplish all of this, we’re looking for someone who is passionate about housing justice, cares about ethical storytelling, and believes in the value of fostering relationships among housing professionals and organizations throughout Illinois. We will need an individual who is well-organized, communicates effectively, takes initiative, has strong writing skills, wants to learn, and can balance a wide variety of projects.
- Build awareness and understanding of homelessness and affordable housing and our coalition’s role in addressing these issues in Illinois. Projects include leading creation of our first issue of a magazine-style print publication featuring member stories related to housing and homelessness; enhancing our website; and shaping digital communications.
- Engage and cultivate Housing Action member organizations and donors through communications, implementing new strategic plan priorities related to membership, writing member spotlights, and helping facilitate training or networking opportunities and a member benefits orientation.
- Expand and diversify our funding sources in collaboration with staff. Identify new prospects, write and edit grant proposals, join the planning team for our annual benefit and conference, and strategize additional fundraising activities.
- Strategize for and help plan Housing Action’s second virtual conference and member meeting, aiming to increase interactivity and participation.
- Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred.
- Education background in communications, journalism, marketing, political science, or English preferred.
- At least 6 months to one year of professional, volunteer, or internship experience in a non-profit or agency setting preferred; previous communications and project management experience highly desired.
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in web-based research and Microsoft Office. Open to learning website content management and other website training.
- Familiarity with social media channels desired; familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop) a plus.
- Excellent writing skills, strong attention to detail, and good interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of or experience in fundraising and event planning a plus.
- Knowledge of, interest in, or experience in affordable housing and homelessness a plus.
Compensation and Benefits:
Please note this is a one-year volunteer position (starting in June or July 2021) with benefits funded by AmeriCorps VISTA. Benefits include a monthly living allowance, a health plan, childcare assistance if eligible, relocation allowance, professional development opportunities, and, after successful completion of the term, an Education Award that can be used to repay student or for future education expenses. Federal student loans may be deferred during the twelve-month commitment.
Housing Action Illinois will also provide reimbursement for a monthly transit pass.
Please email your cover letter, resume, and two brief writing samples (500 words or less each) to email@example.com.