We’re looking for someone passionate about housing justice who will build relationships among housing nonprofits, gather stories about homelessness and affordable housing, and diversify our funding.
About Housing Action Illinois
Housing Action Illinois is a statewide coalition that has been leading the movement to protect and expand the availability of quality, affordable housing in Illinois for more than 30 years. Our 160+ member organizations include housing counseling agencies, homeless service providers, developers of affordable housing and policymakers. We bring everyone together to work toward an Illinois where everyone has a stable, good home.
- Develop member outreach, cultivation, and education strategies. Assess and deepen our relationships with current member organizations; identify lapsed and prospective members and cultivate connections with them.
- Develop communications materials (print and digital) that reinforce member engagement and donor relationships. Interview and profile member organizations, manage and expand website and social media content, and contribute to print and digital publications, including monthly newsletter and annual report.
- Work with Executive Director, Board, and staff to expand and diversify funding sources. Help create annual fundraising plan, identify new funding sources, write and edit grant proposals, plan annual benefit, and explore additional fundraising activities.
- Continue development and implementation of new program, the Community Revitalization Challenge (CRC). The CRC pairs community organizations with financial institutions to develop a community development project proposal.
- Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred.
- Education background in communications, journalism, marketing, political science, or English preferred.
- At least 6 months to one year of professional, volunteer, or internship experience in a non-profit or agency setting preferred; previous communications and project management experience highly desired.
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in web-based research and Microsoft Office. Open to learning website content management and other website training.
- Familiarity with social media channels desired; familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop) a plus.
- Excellent writing skills, strong attention to detail, and good interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of or experience in fundraising and event planning a plus.
Knowledge of, interest in, or experience in affordable housing and homelessness a plus.
Compensation and Benefits:
Please note this is a one-year volunteer position (ideally July 2019 to July 2020, with some flexibility around start dates) with benefits funded by AmeriCorps VISTA. Benefits include a monthly living allowance, a health plan, childcare assistance if eligible, relocation allowance, professional development opportunities, and, after successful completion of the term, an Education Award that can be used to repay student or for future education expenses. Federal student loans may be deferred during the twelve-month commitment.
Housing Action Illinois will also provide reimbursement for a monthly transit pass.
Please email your resume and two brief writing samples (500 words or less each) to email@example.com.