The dedicated VISTAs in the Illinois Affordable Housing Support Project have been impressing us with their achievements since 2010. They increase the capacity of our member organizations to educate the public and policy makers on housing issues, help agencies successfully serve their clients, and develop, expand, and generate resources for programs that increase and preserve affordable housing.
Here are just a few of our VISTAs’ recent accomplishments:
- Helped to develop a HUD-approved Housing Counseling program at Respond Now
- Developed operation and evaluation systems for a green housing education series at Mid Central Community Action Agency
- Improved Hesed House’s volunteer management system and created a video to educate librarians on how to support individuals experiencing homelessness
- Helped student and community leaders identify issues impacting homeless youth in Chicago Public Schools and developed recommendations that were submitted to the Chicago Board of Education by the Chicago Coalition for the Homeless.
- Created an early warning foreclosure mapping system for rental properties and tracking evictions of renters in foreclosures while at Lawyers Committee for Better Housing
- Developed a case study report about intentional strategies for creating and sustaining integration in communities that help families move from high-poverty neighborhoods to low-poverty neighborhoods, published by Oak Park Regional Housing Center
- Created a Capacity Inventory Survey for Zion Development Corporation to assess the skills of supportive housing residents in order to empower them to address quality of life issues in their community
- Made this celebratory and informational video for Northwest Side Housing Center: