Housing Counseling Resources
Housing Action Webinars
Grant Writing: Best Practices
- Check out our introductory webinar on best practices for grant writing. This advice is relevant not only when you’re applying for funding from IHDA but also when applying for funding from other sources.
- Another good resource for advice on grant writing is Forefront, a statewide membership association for nonprofits, grantmakers, public agencies, and advisors. Forefront hosts webinars and trainings throughout Illinois, some of which are free.
HELOCs and Foreclosure
Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) can be a convenient, flexible and low-cost way to borrow money, but in situations of financial trouble could lead to foreclosure. In August 2016, we hosted a webinar with Ainat Margalit, a Senior Attorney in the Consumer Practice Group at LAF, to teach the basics of HELOC, foreclosure, and loss mitigation, and how to help clients navigate them.
For Foreclosure Prevention Program Grantee Agencies
- View our webinar for FPP-4 grantees that provides a detailed overview of the required steps and documentation needed to complete the FPP-4 Quarterly Disbursement Statement.
- Coming soon: we will also be doing a webinar specifically for FPP-G grantees that helps you navigate the reporting process.
Fair Housing Resources
In-Depth Focus on Fair Housing Rights for People with Disabilities
We hosted this webinar on the fair housing rights of people with disabilities in July 2016. The presentation covered reasonable accommodations, reasonable modifications, service animals, illegal inquiries about a person’s disability, effective communication, and other legal issues. It relied on hypothetical scenarios as the main teaching tools.
Fair Housing Legal Rights and Responsibilities: Tools for Housing Counselors
In May 2016, we hosted this webinar with expert presenter Jessica Schneider, Staff Attorney in the Educational Equity and Fair Housing Projects of the Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. The presentation included information on fair housing laws, legal rights and responsibilities for housing seekers and housing providers, and resources for filing complaints for fair housing violations.
Best Practices for Housing Counselors
In December 2014, Housing Action Illinois and the Illinois Development Housing Authority (IHDA) presented on best practices for housing counselors, covering topics such as understanding counseling services, HUD and IHDA expectations, record keeping, and reporting. See the presentation slides »
Developing a Financial Education Program
Studies show that people receiving financial education beyond housing counseling make more informed financial choices. At our 2013 annual Housing Matters! conference, presented on how to introduce comprehensive financial education to a housing counseling agency and strategies for helping an agency and counselors emphasize lifelong financial education.
Rent to Own
- Recording: Protections for Rent to Own Homebuyers in Illinois
- Presentation: Protections for Rent to Own Homebuyers in Illinois
Housing Action Initiatives & Resources
HUD Certified Housing Counselor Exam FAQ
Starting on August 1, 2017, housing counselors will be able to take a HUD-administered exam and become certified (which will be a requirement starting on August 1, 2020). We break down what you need to know and how to prepare in our HUD Certified Housing Counselor Exam FAQ »
Fighting Housing Discrimination
HUD-Approved Client Management Systems
HCO Training (coming soon)
Research on the Benefits of Housing Counseling
- 82% of clients who receive housing counseling think it was a helpful experience, according to the 2015 American Housing Survey, which looks at rates of housing counseling across the nation.
- Homebuyer education and counseling can “provide timely, powerful support for prospective and current homeowners as they assess their options and make decisions,” according to an overview of relevant research in Evidence Matters, published in 2016 by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Office of Policy Development and Research.
- Neil Mayer and Associates, together with Experian, conducted a study published in 2012 on the effectiveness of NeighborWorks pre-purchase homeownership counseling and education. Overall, the study found clients receiving pre-purchase counseling and education from NeighborWorks organizations are one-third less likely to become 90+ days delinquent over the two years after receiving their loan than are borrowers who do not receive pre-purchase counseling from NeighborWorks organizations. In 2016, the Urban Institute continued the examination of NeighborWorks counseling in a report titled NeighborWorks America’s Homeownership Education and Counseling: Who Receives It and Is It Effective?
- A 2016 study by a doctoral student at Vanderbilt’s Peabody College of Education and Human Development, The Influence of Homebuyer Education on Default and Foreclosure Risk, found that first-time homebuyers who attended homebuyer education course were much less likely to lose their home to foreclosure.
Research on the Barriers to Homeownership
In November 2017, the Urban Institute released a report titled Barriers to Accessing Homeownership that provides data and commentary on three significant barriers to homeownership: saving for a down payment, accessing mortgage credit and housing affordability. The report also offers information about down payment assistance programs which can help borrowers overcome the first barrier to homeownership.
Latest News for Housing Counselors
On December 14, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) issued a Final Rule for the Housing Counseling program. The most significant of these changes is the requirement that all individuals that provide housing counseling in connection with a HUD...
Housing Action Illinois Awarded $698,000 in HUD Housing Counseling Funds: 26 Agencies to Receive Sub-Grants
Housing Action Illinois has been awarded $698,000 by HUD to channel resources to local organizations to help families and individuals with their housing needs and to prevent foreclosures. Housing Action will distribute the funds to the 26 housing counseling agencies...
New Guide to HUD-Approved Client Management Systems Helps Housing Counselor Agencies Make Informed Decisions
Report delivers detailed breakdowns of 17 client management systems, helping housing counselor agencies find the best fit for their needs A new, comprehensive guide to the Client Management Systems (CMSs) approved by HUD has just been released by Housing Action...
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 11, 2015 CONTACT: Bob Palmer, Policy Director, Housing Action Illinois, 312-282-3959 (cell) or email@example.com State legislation to create consumer protections for seniors for considering a reverse mortgage, Senate Bill 1440, was...
Housing Action Illinois Awarded $307,000 in HUD Housing Counseling Funds: 12 Illinois and Indiana Agencies Will Receive Sub-Grants
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 24, 2015 CONTACT: David Young, Director of Technical Assistance, Housing Action Illinois, at 312-939-6074 ext. 202 or firstname.lastname@example.org Housing Action Illinois received $307,000 to channel resources to 12 housing counseling agencies...
Housing Action Illinois is pleased to announce that Jennifer Pallas will be joining the organization as a Housing Counseling Program Coordinator on April 1. Jennifer will be working to expand the capacity of housing counselors and counseling agencies throughout the...
Fair Housing Requirements and Regulations Training March 3rd Training from 9:00am- 4:00pm, Reception 4:00pm-6:00pm Join Access Living, CSH, Chicago Area Fair Housing Alliance, and Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for a FREE, one-day training focusing on Fair Housing...
Fair Housing & Housing Counseling (3/19/2015) On March 19, Daniel Lindsey from the Legal Assistance Foundation facilitated a webinar reviewing the process of filing and prosecuting a foreclosure case in Illinois, plus all necessary steps for foreclosing on several...
Coalition Uses Collaborative Approach in Developing Community Based Partnership Model Housing Action Illinois announced its designation by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) as a HUD Approved Housing Counseling Intermediary, serving Illinois...
Housing Counselors and social service case managers increasingly find themselves dealing with clients who need to address various financial barriers. This three-day course provides the basic strategies and information needed to increase counseling professionals'...