Resources To Prevent and End Homelessness
Housing Action Illinois does not provide direct assistance to people looking for affordable housing, but we hope that the following websites and resources might be of use.
City Chicago Resources
- Chicago Homelessness Prevention Call Center: Individuals seeking assistance in Chicago for basic needs such as rent, utilities, etc., should call 311 and ask for Short-Term Help to be transferred to the Homelessness Prevention Call Center. The Call Center Information & Referral Specialist will ask you questions about your situation and assess your eligibility for assistance, as well as other community resources. The Information & Referral Specialist will direct you to a partner agency or other community resources, as appropriate and as resources are available. The hours of operation are Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Emergency Shelter: If you are in need of emergency shelter in Chicago, call 311.
- Chicago Central Referral System Assessment Tool allows people who are homeless or living in a shelter to apply for housing.
- More information: http://www.allchicago.org/need-help
Suburban Cook County Resources
- Suburban Cook County Homeless Prevention Call Center: If you need financial assistance with Mortgage, Rent Payments, Rent Deposits, Utility Payments, or other housing issues please call the Homeless Prevention Call Center at 1-877-4-Cook-15 (1-877-426-6515). Listen carefully to the prompts to choose which kind of help you need.
- Emergency Shelter: If you are in Suburban Cook County, call the emergency facility nearest you:
- South Suburbs: South Suburban PADS, 708-332-7700
- Northwest Suburbs: Journeys | The Road Home, 847-475-7070
- West Suburbs: Housing Forward (Oak Park), 708-338-1724 or BEDS (LaGrange), 708-354-0858
- More information: www.suburbancook.org
DuPage County Resources
- Any person in DuPage County can access homeless services by calling the DuPage County centralized intake and referral hotline which operates from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekdays. Telephone – 630-407-6500, 1-800-942-9412, TDD 630-407-6502. After hours and on weekends, homeless services can be accessed by calling the Catholic Charities Hope House shelter hotline. The number is 800-941-8681.
- More information: http://www.dupagehomeless.org/homeless
Resources in Other Parts of Illinois
- HUD Resource Locator: A map-based tool to connect with building managers, public housing authority representatives, and property management companies to inquire about housing availability and other housing-related questions
- IllinoisLegalAid.org provides lower-income and vulnerable Illinois residents with information about their legal rights and responsibilities, referrals to free and low cost legal aid offices, multimedia training and education, and forms and instructions for representing themselves. They also run Legal Answers, a virtual walk-in clinic where you can get answers to your legal questions for free from volunteer attorneys.