In addition to our annual Housing Matters! conference, Housing Action regularly hosts webinars, workshops, and training for housing counseling agencies and housing developers. Our member organizations also coordinate a wide variety of events related to affordable housing. Have an event you think we should add to the calendar? Send us the details.
Are you ready to take and pass the HUD Housing Counseling Certification Examination? Join Housing Action Illinois and Rural Community Assistance Corporation (RCAC) for a three-day course that will prepare you for the exam by covering all six Core Topics in which housing counselors need to be competent: financial management; property maintenance; homeownership and tenancy; fair housing and other civil rights laws and requirements; housing affordability; avoidance of rental and mortgage delinquency; and avoidance of eviction and mortgage default. There is a $150 fee to attend this 3-day class, which will happen on January 23 – 25 in Springfield. Learn more and register here.
January 26th is the last day to submit an application to host a VISTA member with Housing Action Illinois’ VISTA Network for the upcoming year!
VISTA members give a year of full-time service to their country and in return they receive a bi-weekly stipend, health care benefits, a choice of an education award or end of service cash stipend, and non-competitive eligibility status for federal jobs. VISTAs are placed for one year with host site organizations to work on projects identified by the organization that will build their capacity to fight poverty in their community. Host sites identify and design the projects to create, launch, update, or expand programs such as volunteer recruitment and management, resource development, and community organizing. All current Housing Action Illinois member organization are invited to apply.
How do we evaluate applications?
- We look at an organization’s plan and ability to supervise, mentor, and support their VISTA.
- We evaluate the proposed projects for the VISTA; they should be working on sustainable projects related to ending poverty through housing and economic empowerment.
- We give preference to current Housing Action Illinois VISTA host sites that are up to date with their membership dues and have been good, responsive VISTA partners in the past.
- Host sites must be member organizations of Housing Action Illinois. You can join us to become a host site, but we give preference to organizations that have been members for at least a year.
- We aim to have at least four host sites outside of the Chicago metro area and collar counties.
VISTA members cannot engage in political activities and cannot serve as substitutes or replacements for staff members. See application for more details.
For the 2018-2019 term, Housing Action anticipates having 26 AmeriCorps VISTA host sites.
What is an AmeriCorps VISTA host site responsible for?
- The $4,000 host site fee to cover administrative costs.
- Providing an appropriate workspace and active supervision from at least one full-time staff member.
- Submitting progress reports for the VISTA project.
- Supporting the VISTA during their year of service through mentorship and professional development opportunities.
- Host sites located in the Chicago metro region are required to reimburse VISTAs for monthly Ventra/Metra passes.
Learn more through our FAQ.
Successful applicants will be notified by February 19th, 2018.
Executed Agreements will be due to March 5th, 2018.
We have made significant changes to the VISTA host site application. For more information or to request an application, please contact our VISTA Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 312-939-6074.
Save the date for the Illinois Governor’s Conference on Affordable Housing on Wednesday, February 21 and Thursday, February 22, 2018 at the Hyatt Regency Hotel. Enjoy one-and-a-half days of speakers, discussion, and networking on the latest trends in affordable housing. More information to come!