Summer Associates help Illinois communities by expanding and improving the availability of decent, affordable, accessible housing, implementing summer education engagement programs for youth, and providing food security. This program is an expansion of Housing Action’s full-year AmeriCorps VISTA network; instead of serving for a full twelve months, VISTA Summer Associates work full-time with an organization for 8-10 weeks on specific projects. Unlike our full-year VISTA positions, Summer Associates are able to participate in direct service, which allows them to perform tasks such as case management, client intake, and tutoring, in addition to the traditional capacity building of AmeriCorps VISTA positions.
Check out our FAQ for interested organizations, read testimonials from VISTA supervisors at our host sites, and email our VISTA Leaders (email@example.com) to learn more.
What is the selection criteria for VISTA Summer Associate host sites
- Quality of the VISTA project, including the following:
- The project adheres to AmeriCorps VISTA program guidelines
- The sustainability and impact of the project
- The project will attract a strong pool of VISTA candidates
- Capacity of the organization to be a host site
- All current Housing Action Illinois member organizations are invited to apply. We give preference to current Housing Action Illinois VISTA host sites who are up to date with their membership dues and have been strong, responsive VISTA partners in the past
VISTA members cannot engage in political activities and cannot serve as substitutes or replacements for staff members. See application for more details.
What costs do Project Host Sites need to cover?
- Travel reimbursement to VISTA for any project-related travel
- Reimbursement of Chicago Transit Authority/Metra pass if Project Host Site is located in Chicago Metro region and collar counties
- In-Kind office requirements: office space, desk, computer, phone line, email, etc.
- There are other in‐kind donations such as housing or housing assistance, opportunities for professional development, etc. These items are not required, but are encouraged as they drastically increase the number and quality of VISTA applicants.
- Project Participation Fee to Housing Action Illinois; $750 per VISTA Summer Associate during the summer of 2018. The Project Participation Fee helps offset administrative expenses for the project.
Successful applicants will be notified by March 9th, 2018.
Executed Agreements will be due to April 3rd, 2018.
We have made significant changes to the VISTA host site application. For more information or to request an application, please contact our VISTA Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 312-939-6074.