The Housing Action Illinois VISTA Network is currently recruiting for 34 VISTA Summer Associate positions throughout the state of Illinois. These 10-week summer positions start in June and end in August. Interested in full-year positions? Head over here.
These VISTA Summer Associates fight poverty by providing and improving affordable, safe, and decent housing, youth summer education, and food security of individuals and families. VISTA Summer Associates can do direct service, which are tasks such as case management, client intake, and tutoring, in addition to the traditional capacity building of AmeriCorps VISTA positions. At the moment, we are hiring for these positions:
- Boys and Girls Club: Our 5 Program Assistant Summer VISTA Associates deliver a summer program that provides youth, ages 6-18 years, opportunities to maintain or improve their academic skills, increase self-confidence, learn proper communication skills with peers and adults and perform service learning projects to build character and citizenship skills.
- Centro Romero: Our Summer Education VISTA Summer Associate will assist in the development and implementation of a summer education program for children in grades 1 – 5 by providing tutoring, support, and administrative duties.
- Centro Romero: Our Summer Education VISTA Summer Associate will assist in the development and implementation of a summer education program for children in grades 6 – 8 by providing tutoring, support, and administrative duties.
- Centro Romero: Our Fundraising VISTA Summer Associate will increase the gross revenues of Centro Romero’s major fundraiser by $2,500 through better planning and outreach to various funding streams: sponsorships, ticket sales, silent auction items, raffle, and ads in the program booklet.
- Connections for the Homeless: Our Connections and Our House VISTA Summer Associate will research existing community non-profits and local businesses, conduct outreach activities aimed at increasing community interaction, and plan a community event in conjunction with our residents.
- DuPage Habitat for Humanity: Our Capacity Building VISTA Summer Associate will work alongside the Executive director in identifying strategies and updating the organizational strategic plan for FY 2018-2020.
- DuPage Habitat for Humanity: Our Technology Officer VISTA Summer Associate will update the organization’s website solutions and cloud based servers to provide for better community engagement and marketing of our mission along with creating a more efficient and mobile technology solution.
- DuPage Habitat for Humanity: Our Community Resource VISTA Summer Associate will work with the Director of Construction to create forms and templates that will provide continuity and integration in the organization in order to increase the number of families our affiliate is able to serve through our Critical Home Repair (CHR), Rehab, and new construction projects.
- DuPage Habitat for Humanity: Our 2 Construction Crew VISTA Summer Associates will increase the number of families our affiliate is able to serve through our Critical Home Repair (CHR), Rehab, and new construction projects.
- Hesed House: Our Children’s Summer Program VISTA Summer Associate will create and oversee a children’s summer program that provides a safe and encouraging environment surrounding summer activities and build relationships for children residing at the homeless shelter.
- Hesed House: Our LIGHT House VISTA Summer Associate will assist in providing case management services to households of LIGHT-House Permanent Supportive Housing, and work with the volunteer department to create sustainable new programs or ideas to engage community volunteers with basic case management.
- Hesed House: Our Overnight Shelter VISTA Summer Associate will help build the capacity of Hesed House by being a volunteer liaison and trainer of the volunteer groups that serve our Overnight Emergency Shelter.
- Hesed House: Our Transitional Living Community VISTA Summer Associate will create a sustainable system to organize, store and distribute donated items coming into the Transitional Living Community program.
- Hesed House: Our Daytime Drop in Center VISTA Summer Associate will work with our PADS AM Daytime Drop-in Center as a special events coordinator, learning and working in every phase of the program as well as helping set up and run special events for Hesed House guests.
- Housing Choice Partners: Our Program Coordinator VISTA Summer Associate will build HCP’s capacity through the creation and development of a robust post-move supportive resource program for HCP clients.
- John Marshall Law School Legal Clinic: Our Community Outreach VISTA Summer Associate will develop an electronic communication and action plan that will identify organizations and communities throughout the Chicago region that are in need of the Human Rights for Syrians Initiative Clinic’s services or have the ability to disseminate information about the service provisions.
- Land of Lincoln Legal Services: Our Housing Resource Center Development Coordinator VISTA Summer Associate will connect individuals facing homelessness with local resources to maintain housing or be rehoused by creating a screening tool for Land of Lincoln’s services to be used at the housing desk located outside of eviction court in St. Clair County.
- Mercy Housing Lakefront: Our Volunteer Program Coordinator VISTA Summer Associate will develop a volunteer program that engages individuals, foundations, businesses and faith congregations to provide health, education and economic resources to the families and individuals served by Mercy Housing Lakefront.
- METEC Resource Center: Our Workforce Development VISTA Summer Associate will work to assist individuals who may be unemployed or underemployed advance their career opportunities by expanding on known computer skills and learning new computer skills.
- Millikin University: Our Finacial Literacy VISTA Summer Associate will conduct research, plan, and implement financial literacy training programs for first generation students and students from low socioeconomic backgrounds, and train Millikin University staff in how to conduct the trainings themselves.
- Northwest Compass: Our Food Connection VISTA Summer Associate will support innovative program focused on extending services and hours of operation to alleviate food insecurity for youth, seniors and veterans as well as to promote healthy nutrition and its effect on improved health.
- Northwest Compass: Our Helping Youth on the Path to Empowerment VISTA Summer Associate will focus on the implementation of the Helping Youth on the Path to Empowerment program by increasing the awareness in the community and providing one on one case management.
- Northwest Side Housing Center: Our Special Projects VISTA Summer Associate will create and improve community outreach and awareness activities related to affordable housing, rental referrals and long-term financial education to community residents.
- Northwest Side Housing Center: Our Summer Program VISTA Summer Associate will provide assistance with all activities and field trips during the 3-month summer program for teens in Belmont Cragin Youth Leadership Council (BCYLC), and research, organize and facilitate the community service event our BCYLC youth partake in each year.
- Rincon Family Services: Our Fundraising Event Project VISTA Summer Associate will support our efforts to increase funds raised through the agency’s Fall Gala compared to last year’s Fall Gala in both cash and in-kind donations.
- Rincon Family Services: Our Volunteer Recruitment and Programming Coordinator VISTA Summer Associate will support the development and implementation of an agency-wide initiative to increase individual and group volunteers.
- South Suburban Housing Center: Our Client Engagement VISTA Summer Associate will develop and implement a targeted client engagement strategy for new and unresponsive clients throughout Kankakee County for a mortgage assistance program.
- Vermillion County Housing Authority: Our VISTA Summer Associate will increase the operational capacity of a rural housing agency through the development and implementation of marketing and outreach to social services agencies, community meetings, and through economic and educational engagement programming for public housing households.
AmeriCorps VISTA is the nationwide, domestic version of the Peace Corps. To qualify for AmeriCorps VISTA, you must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or permanent resident and be at least 18 years old.
Benefits and Compensation
AmeriCorps VISTA offers the following benefits: bi-weekly living allowance and a choice of End of Service Stipend or Education Award that can be used to repay student loans or for future education expenses.
Recruitment Contact Information
Please contact the Housing Action Illinois VISTA Network team at email@example.com if you are interested in any of the positions that do not have links yet or have any questions regarding submitting applications.