We’re currently recruiting for nearly full-year positions in Housing Action Illinois’ AmeriCorps VISTA network. These are one-year volunteer positions that last from from the summer of 2017 to the summer of 2018.
- Alliance to End Homelessness in Suburban Cook County: Our Special Projects Associate VISTA will organize and execute the Alliance’s participation in the 2018 Point-in-Time count, which is a way to gauge how many people are experiencing homelessness directly resulting in improved access to affordable housing in the community.
- C.E.F.S. Economic Opportunity Corporation: Our Housing Liaison and Planner VISTA will increase public awareness of the various services offered by the agency, as well as develop external relationships that will enhance the ability of the organization to provide foreclosure prevention, homebuyer education, post-purchase workshops, college loan debt management and fair housing services.
- Chicago Rehab Network (CRN): Our Communications and Resource Development VISTA will help expand Chicago Rehab Network’s resource base, as well as create communications materials that will reinforce stakeholder and donor involvement.
- Claretian Associates: Our Sustainable Development VISTA will enhance the ability of the agency to provide clean, safe and affordable rental housing to the South Chicago area through engaging in rehabilitation planning, creating a volunteer program for local youth to work with the maintenance team, and creating systems to improve the efficiency of maintenance team members.
- CSH (Corporation for Supportive Housing): Our Peer Support and Tenant Leadership VISTA will research, design, and develop training curriculum on peer support and tenant leadership subjects.
- HOME DuPage: Our Volunteer Management VISTA will develop a robust, sustainable volunteer program that will enable the agency to increase its outreach to a more varied population within DuPage County, and better serve their non-English speaking populations.
- HomeStart: Our Regional Outreach Coordinator VISTA will focus outreach efforts in identifying housing needs gaps within underserved rural areas by establishing ongoing communication and outreach mechanisms such as newsletters and e-blasts, conducting surveys to gather information and making contacts with potential lending partners.
- Housing Action Illinois: Our VISTA Leaders will help expand and improve Housing Action’s VISTA Network while also helping make sure the VISTA members that are currently serving are making the most impact possible.
- Lake County Homeless Continuum of Care: Our Homeless Continuum of Care VISTA will enhance the Lake County Coalition for the Homeless’ efforts to end homelessness through building the organization’s capacity to participate in two programs: the 2018 Unsheltered Homeless Point-in-Time (PIT) Count, which helps estimate how many people are experiencing homelessness, and the Social Security Outreach, Access and Recovery (SOAR) Initiative, which can increase the income of disabled homeless people.
- Lake County PADS: Our Client Services & Resources Development VISTA will conduct an analysis of PADS’ Homeless Management Information System (HMIS), and develop a plan for how to improve our HMIS as it relates to resource development and future organizational services and programming.
- Latin United Community Housing Association (LUCHA): Our Marketing and Resource Development VISTA will collaborate with the Development Team with the grant research, writing and management process. The VISTA will also help develop and expand the agency’s marketing and communication efforts, including donor cultivation and the coordination/promotion of LUCHA’s special events.
- Mercy Housing Lakefront: Our Financial Literacy Specialist VISTA will focus on improving MHL’s financial literacy curriculum, identifying new ways to engage residents with MHL’s and Capacity Building program, and coordinate quarterly Resource Fairs.
- Mid Central Community Action (MCCA): Our Community Engagement Specialist VISTA will develop a neighborhood engagement plan to increase resident participation in neighborhood revitalization programs within the agency’s target community development area.
- Respond Now: Our Housing Coordinator VISTA will help the agency build the capacity of its housing programs through implementing financial workshops and pre-purchase/post-purchase housing counseling, refining and developing sustainable programs that address areas of unmet need, and help implement the Coordinated Entry System as part of its work with the Suburban Cook County Continuum of Care.
- Spanish Coalition for Housing: Our Development and Communications Associate VISTA will strategically identify resources and value added opportunities in order to increase the organization’s capacity to address affordable housing preservation, creation and maintenance, as well as household asset development.
AmeriCorps VISTA is the nationwide, domestic version of the Peace Corps. To qualify for AmeriCorps VISTA, you must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or permanent resident.
Benefits and Compensation
AmeriCorps VISTA offers the following benefits: monthly living allowance, student-loan forbearance or deferment, choice of End of Service Stipend or Education Award that can be used to repay student loans or for future education expenses, childcare assistance if eligible, relocation allowance, professional development opportunities and non-competitive eligibility for federal jobs for one year beginning the day after you complete your service. As part of this program, members will also receive an opportunity to network and connect with professionals nationwide, and the chance to gain invaluable experience in the non-profit sector to enhance their career.
How to Apply
Please contact the Housing Action Illinois VISTA Network team at firstname.lastname@example.org to be notified when specific positions are posted and applications are being accepted.